Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Sweet potato gnocchi



Ok, you got me - I eat from Pooh Bear plates ;) Tonight I had a craving for both gnocchi and sweet potatoes, so decided to try making gnocchi with sweet potatoes. I usually make potato gnocchi, tried pumpkin once but it didn't work. I think the issue is moisture, potatoes and sweet potatoes are quite dry and that makes for good gnocchi.




Making gnocchi is really quite simple. I simply peeled two large sweet potatoes and steamed them whole. I then used my potato ricer to turn them into mash. You can just use a masher if you prefer, or even a fork. After mashing leave the sweet potato to cool down to room temperature.
I added a sprinkle of Herbamare seasoning and then used one hand to knead as I very slowly added a small amount of GF flour. I sometimes use potato flour instead.
Just keep adding flour and kneading until you have a dough like consistency, but be careful not to add more flour if you think it's not coming together. Give it a few minutes of kneading and you will see that it will all come together.

When the dough is ready, sprinkle some flour onto a board and gradually break off sections of dough and roll them into thin snake shapes. Break off or cut small sections of the snakes of dough to make the gnocchi - as seen above.

Boil your water and add a good quantity of salt to the boiling water. Add your gnocchi and remove with a slotted spoon once it floats to the surface.

The gnocchi can then be served with any sauce you like. This time I put some macadamia oil and garlic, but a tomato based sauce would also work well. Two large sweet potatoes makes about 3 servings of gnocchi. Mmmm, now I want some more!

P.S The gnocchi that I put in the fridge and cooked up later turned out much better than the ones cooked right after making the dough
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment