Sunday, December 28, 2008

Butternut Pumpkin Bread





Gluten free bread is the pits. The stuff you buy in the shops is like rubber and I just cannot eat it. It also has heaps of additives and is usually high in fat. So I spent a couple of years eating no bread at all, and just stuck to organic corn thins and then I got fed up with it. So now I make my own bread. Homemade gluten free bread is 100 times better than store bought and you can make it to suit your own tastes. This pumpkin bread is delicious, light and full of goodness. I'm mathematically challenged - so don't expect measurements in my recipes ;)

Ingredients:

  • 1 whole small butternut pumpkin or a larger one split into 2.
  • rice bran oil
  • gluten free SR flour
  • Massel vegetable stock
  • Healthy additives to suit you: caramelised onions, cranberries, nutmeg, fruit (if you want a sweeter bread), garlic - the possibilities are endless.



First you need to bake your butternut pumpkin whole or in two halves as pictured, trickle with a little rice bran oil if desired and bake for 45 minutes at 200c


Once your pumpkin is baked, let it cool before removing the seeds, peeling off the skin and mashing. If you baked the larger pumpkin, then only mash half of it. Put the other half aside.
Add vegestock powder to taste, a dash of oil and add the additional ingredients if desired. I added caramelised onions and cranberries this time. Mash well, then start adding flour in small increments. Use one hand to mix and one to hold the bowl. Keep adding flour until you form a pliable dough that doesn't stick to your hand.


Form your dough into a loaf shape, and score the loaf with criss cross patterns as shown. Place in a 200c oven for 35minutes.


If you have some leftover roast pumpkin. Top with cranberry sauce and enjoy while the bread is cooking ;) Yumm Alternatively, you could add it to a soup to serve with your bread.

To check is bread is ready, tap with a knife. If it sounds hollow, it's ready! Put it on a cooling rack to enjoy later.


Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

  1. Thanks J! What a great recipe. How much flour do you use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no idea how much, I just kept chucking it in. Depends on the size of the pumpkin really. I used all the flour I had left - maybe 1 1/2 cups, plus put a bit of millet meal and rice flour when that ran out. I'm not good at measuring. You basically have to use your hand to feel when the dough is right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jeanette. I have rice clour and GF SR flour here so I might give that a try toonight and see how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

    Must buy pumpkin!

    ReplyDelete